CANYON IS A WORLD-LEADING MANUFACTURER OF ROAD, MOUNTAIN, TRIATHLON, URBAN AND FITNESS BIKES. OUR DIRECT APPROACH SETS US APART FROM OUR COMPETITORS. WE PRIORITISE DELIVERING THE VERY BEST IN QUALITY AND IN SERVICE AT ALL TIMES. CONSTANTLY EXPLORING NEW PATHS ENABLES US TO STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME AND DRIVES US FORWARDS. NOW MORE THAN EVER, WE ARE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR TALENTED INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE PREPARED HELP US SHAPE THE FUTURE OF RIDING.
In the parts and accessories group (Gear), we need an Industrial Designer with a strong cycling passion to imagine how consumers might use a product and then research, conceptualize and deliver designs which solve the desired product deliverable in both design outlook and function.
The Gear Industrial Designer (GID) will work with the Product Managers (PM) for the Gear category to create a detailed product brief which becomes an in-depth product road map for each and every project or deliverable. In the process of moving toward the final design, the GID will work and meet with the PM often; and as part of a project design and commercialization process, working as part of an overall team to provide the right product design; according to the product brief and customer/user research and feedback, arriving at a final design on time according to the master project timeline.
The computer is a major tool for the GID. The use of two-dimensional computer-aided design (CAD) software to sketch ideas, to make it easy to make changes and show alternatives. Three-dimensional CAD software is mandatory to being used by the GID as a tool to transform their two-dimensional designs into rapid prototype models with the help of three-dimensional printers. The GID may also need to work with the manufacturing partners for their designs and use computer-aided industrial design (CAID) software to create specific machine-readable instructions which tell other machines exactly how to build the product.
All of this is accomplished within a prescribed timeline, while meeting the desired cost/value level for each and every project.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Honor the dates established in the CANYON Corporate Gear Product Development Calendar.
- As part of the category planning and product mapping process, assist senior Gear PMs in creating a strategic direction for their categories.
- First and foremost are solving cycling experienced issues for our customers; on time and with the final design meeting intended budget.
- In conjunction with senior Gear management, organize, develop and commercialize all scheduled Gear product design deliverables within CANYON.
- Participate in and meet the milestones outlined in the Gear product review process.
- After having developed the final product design which meets all CANYON product and cost targets, assist the PM is development in making sure that all vendors have exactly the right information so that they can develop and implement the desired product result on their ends.
- Work with the Gear product management and development teams to map out the vendors for seasonal development.
- Coordinate with the other Industrial Design departments within CANYON to make sure that our designs and products are harmonized; again meet and/or exceed the cycling experience expectations for our end customers.
- If needed, work with the PM and the vendor to adjust designs; when production methodology warrants it, in order to reach target costs.
- In conjunction with the PM, help supervise, assist and work with the factories in regard to the development and commercialization of final product to ensure timely delivery of the same.
- The GID should always seek the best balance of environmentally friendly, customer friendly and cost effective product design; utilizing best practices in all and industry standards when needed.
- Maintain open communication with other departments and managers.
- Help source new vendors when needed.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with offshore vendors and domestic contractors.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT SETS YOU APART
- Passion for cycling and an active rider.
- 2-5 years packaging experience in the Gear/consumer production industry; preferably in technical performance cycling parts and accessories.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to work with all levels of workforce and different ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skill.
- Proficient in English.
- Demonstrated initiative, follow-through and problem-solving ability.
- Highly efficient using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suit.
- Experience using ArtiosCAD, SolidWorks, Rhino and Invento.
- Ability to lead and motivate diverse group of people so that they support the CANYON Industrial Design direction and deliverables.
WHAT SETS US APART
Our commitment to riding is contagious – that’s what you notice when you start working at Canyon. It’s essential that our employees feel fully engaged with their work so that together we can achieve the high standards we set for ourselves, our products and our service. A variety of hands-on tasks, true innovation and a dynamic workplace are all a part of our everyday.
Each individual has a key role to play in Canyon’s success. Whether you’re a student, graduate, or have previous leadership experience, we have the right position for you. After all, the jobs we offer have to be as versatile and exciting as the bikes we develop.
Our flat hierarchies enable you to quickly take responsibility and shape where you want your career to go. As an employer, we successfully combine our local roots with an increasingly international approach. Sustainability and integrity core to our values alongside passion, responsibility and excellence.
In the end, it all comes down to this: Pure Cycling.
Do you love riding and being part of a close team? Then you're the right candidate for us.
We look forward to reading your application including salary expectation and earliest possible start date.
Your contact person is: